An International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) is a healthcare professional specializing in the clinical management of breastfeeding.
IBCLCs are certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE), which requires recertification every five years. To become an IBCLC, an individuals complete 90 hours of lactation specific education, hold a degree in a health sciences field, and have over 1000 hours of lactation specific clinical experience. IBCLCs work in cooperation with your health care providers.
There are many reasons to see an IBCLC for breastfeeding support. This page lists some of the most common reasons, though this is not intended as a comprehensive list.
You may want to call an IBCLC if:
- You experience any of the following:
- Sore, cracked or bleeding nipples
- Breast or nipple pain
- Milk supply issues (too much or too little milk)
- Flat or inverted nipples
- Breast engorgement
- Overactive letdown (milk sprays out too fast for baby)
- Plugged ducts
- Mastitis (Breast infection)
- Thrush (Yeast Infection)
- You want to transition from a bottle to breastfeeding
- You have questions about using, or weaning from a nipple shield
- You need to supplement your baby’s feedings
- You are breastfeeding twins, triplets, or more
- You are breastfeeding after a C-section
- You are breastfeeding after a breast surgery
- You have questions about breastfeeding after returning to work, including how to get baby to accept a bottle
- You have questions about pumping and storing breast milk
- You experienced low milk supply with a previous baby
You may also want to call an IBCLC if your baby has these difficulties or diagnoses:
- Baby won’t latch or stay latched
- Baby is too sleepy at the breast
- Problems with weight gain
- Tongue tie or lip tie
- Difficulty sucking
- Trouble getting a deep latch
- Positioning issues
- Cleft lip or palate
- Down Syndrome
- Special health care needs
If you aren’t sure whether you should see an IBCLC, please Contact Me and I will be happy to share my insights on whether your situation warrants some extra help.
See your issue on the above list, and want to get the help that will make your experience the best it can be?